In the world of web development, you will find two well-defined sectors: free-to-use code, also known as open-source, and license-to-use or proprietary code. In each of these sectors, programming languages have been developed that simplify the process of working, as is the case with the .NET development framework.
Therefore, in this article, we will look at the advantages and disadvantages that you need to know about net development to make your website.
.NET has extensive features that make it a great development environment for building applications on your websites. Its good performance is due to the use of run-time compilation, updates, security, and advanced settings. However, it also has disadvantages that can cause complications when using it.
What is .NET?
.NET is a framework (a set of modules that allow you to develop web applications) that you can use to develop dynamic web pages as well as forms. This code provides you with a combined development model so that you can create applications on your web page in other languages such as Visual Basic or C#.
This development model uses free technology and was created by Microsoft. On the other hand, it is a server-side scripting technology as it handles user requests on a web server and hence creates dynamic HTML pages.
Advantages and disadvantages of using ASP.NET
A large number of websites have been created based on .NET because of the benefits it provides to users. Let’s consider them in more detail.
- Ability to combine with other languages: ASP.NET offers you everything you need to develop web applications, social networks, business websites, and content management systems (CMS). This is because it allows you to combine your development framework with XML, PHP, and HTML so that you can successfully create interactive websites without complex maintenance.
- It has ongoing support: it’s an efficient solution that offers updated Microsoft support so you can program with the latest features.
- It supports MVC: it is a model view controller and an architecture that separates the web development section from the design interface. This gives you a lot of flexibility when working as a team because while some people are developing the code, others are designing, and neither of them should be interrupted. This ensures scalability and ease of maintenance of the developed program.
- Web Forms: This is a development environment that allows you to create simple web applications on your pages. The advantage is that you develop code in an interface that looks the same as the final product. It also gives you the ability to complete large projects without using a lot of code.
- Access to .net framework features: This means you can more easily work with web services, databases, cryptography, and other resources.
- Stable connection to the SQL Server database: This allows you to work comfortably with the SQL Server database management system, as it provides an optimal connection.
Even though .NET has a lot of advantages, it still has some disadvantages.
- Lower performance compared to Linux: The performance and speed of the Microsoft Windows NTFS (New Technology System) file system are lower than the Linux file system.
- Specific Development Platform: .NET requires that you develop your programs in the Visual Studio Integrated Development Environment (IDE). However, other development environments are more flexible in this regard, such as PHP, which allows you to develop from any text editor.
- Not cross-platform: This development environment only works with the Windows operating system and has many compatibility issues with other operating systems. For smooth operation, you need to have a PC capable of running such a system and install a Microsoft IIS server. However, this limitation is a disadvantage as other development systems run on Linux, Windows, or Mac OS derivatives.
- Increased development time: Although you only need to compile the program you are about to run, it takes more time compared to other development environments. It also increases the time of the entire web solution creation process.
Whether to use this framework is up to you. The main thing before this is to weigh the pros and cons and make the right decision.