The Microsoft Photos application does not work on Windows 10
Microsoft regularly releases security updates with bug fixes. The latest Windows update may contain a bug fix that causes the Photos application to not open and freeze. We recommend that you check for and install the latest Windows updates.
- Press the key combination Windows + I to open the settings.
- Click the Refresh and Security button and then the Refresh Window button.
- Click Check for updates and allow Windows to download and install updates.
Make sure your monitor’s driver is up to date. An outdated or incompatible display driver will not open the graphic content. We therefore recommend that you check and update your graphics driver.
Temporarily disable security programs such as antivirus (if installed on your PC).
- Press Windows + R, type WSReset.exe and click OK.
- This will reset the Microsoft Store cache.
- Since the Photos application is a Microsoft Store application, it is suitable for resolving these issues.
- Close the Microsoft Store application and try launching the Photos application again.
Troubleshooting Windows Store applications
Launch the Windows Store built-in troubleshooter to identify and fix the issue that is preventing your photo app from working properly.
- To start the Windows application troubleshooter, open Settings ( Windows + I ),
- Click Update and Security, and then click Troubleshoot.
- Find and select the windows where the applications are stored. Click on it and perform the troubleshooting as shown in the figure below.
- This program checks and fixes problems that cause Windows applications to register that do not work properly.
- Then restart Windows and open any image with the Photos program and check how it works.
alt=App Diagnostic Device Width in Windows=909 height=495 data-ezsrc=https://image.windows101tricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Windows-store-apps-troubleshooter.jpg data-ez= />
Photo reset application
Also, try resetting the Photos program to its default settings by following the steps below.
- Open the Settings application by pressing the Windows + I key combination,
- Click on Apps, then on Apps & Features
- Scroll down and tap the Photos link, then tap Advanced Options,
- Then click the Reset button as shown in the figure below.
- That’s it. Close the window, restart the window.
- The next time you boot up, make sure the photo application is open and working.
alt=Reset Photos app width=893 height=558 data-ezsrc=https://image.windows101tricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Reset-photos-app.jpg data-ez= />
Start the sfcutility program
Run the system files utility to check that missing or damaged system files are not causing the Photos application to crash or not open.
- Open a command prompt as administrator,
- Type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
- This checks for damaged system files
- If SFC finds anything, it will restore it from %WinDir%System32dllcache.
- Wait until the analysis is 100% complete and then restart the window.
alt=Windows 10 system file check width=778 height=365 data-ezsrc=https://image.windows101tricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/system-file-checker-utility-Windows-10.jpg data-ez= />
Message: If an sfc scan finds damaged files but cannot restore some of them, run the DISM dism /online /cleanup-image / restorehealth command to restore the system image and let sfc do its job. After you run the DISM command again, run the SFC utility, restart Windows, and check that the photo application is working properly.
Authentication with new user account
Create a new user account and verify that the application works properly for the new user profile picture.
- To create a new user account, open a command prompt as administrator,
- Enter the network user /add
alt=Add a user account via the command line width=616 height=303 data-ezsrc=https://image.windows101tricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Add-user-account-using-command-prompt.jpg />
- Then type the command net localgroup administrators admin /add to add the newly created user account to the Administrators group.
- This is the only type of output that closes the command line,
- Log out of the current account and log in to the newly created account and test the photo application.
Delete and reset photos app
If all the above solutions do not solve the problem, the last option is to reinstall the Photos application. Because it is an integrated application, we cannot remove it,
- Open PowerShell (Administrator). Then run the following command to remove the embedded photo application.
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.Windows.Photos * | Delete-AppxPackage
alt=image-app-delete-command width=694 height=228 data-ezsrc=https://image.windows101tricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/command-to-remove-photos-app.jpg />
- After running the Windows restart command,
- And the next time you boot up, open the Microsoft Store
- Search for photos and select the Microsoft Photos application
- Click Get to download and install the Photos app on your Windows 10 system.
alt=Load the Microsoft photo application width=922 height=511 data-ezsrc=https://image.windows101tricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Download-Microsoft-photos-app-1.jpg data-ez= />
That’s it, and I’m sure by applying these solutions, your photo application will work normally, without any problems or application hiccups. However, if you need any help or suggestions for this post, feel free to comment below. Besides, the reading
to report this message
frequently asked questions
How do I fix my photo application in Windows 10?
Troubleshooting ‘ Windows 10 ‘ Error.
Why is my photo application not working?
Your PC’s Photos app may be damaged, causing the Photos app in Windows 10 to stop working. In this case, simply reinstall the Photos application on your PC: First, completely uninstall the Photos application from your computer, and then reinstall it from the Microsoft Store.
Why can’t I open the photos on my computer?
Windows Photo Viewer does not open jpg files If you are having problems viewing photos on your PC, you may be able to solve the problem by switching to Windows Photo Viewer. Also, make sure you install Windows Photo Viewer as the default application, and the problem should be solved for good.
Feedback,windows 10 photos app reinstall,microsoft photos,windows photo viewer not working,windows 10 photo app crashes,windows 10 photo viewer not working,windows 10 photos app not working file system error,Privacy settings,How Search works,Microsoft Photos,Windows Photo Viewer,Google Photos,IrfanView,Adobe Photoshop Express,Pixlr,See more,windows 10 photos we’re having trouble opening this file for editing,fix – photos app not working in windows 10