Having issues with the microphone or audio recording on your Windows 10 laptop? Or does the microphone no longer work after a Windows 10 update? This is probably because the installed microphone driver does not work with the latest version of Windows 10 20H2. And reinstalling the driver with the latest version is probably a good solution. If you are also facing such problem, here are solutions to solve symptoms such as microphone not working, stuttering, noisy, crackling or choppy recordings, intermittent microphone recording problems, distorted recordings,
Microphone does not work
If you are using an external microphone device, we recommend disconnecting the microphone first and then reconnecting it. You should hear a sound indicating that Windows has detected the new hardware.
If the problem occurred after the recent Windows 10 update. October 2020 happened, the solution works here.
- Press the Windows key combination + I to open the Settings application,
- Click Privacy and select the Microphone tab.
- Make sure that the option Allow applications to access your microphone is enabled here,
- Also, make sure the application you are using has access to a microphone.
alt=Small applications for accessing your microphone width=772 height=510 data-ezsrc=http://server.digimetriq.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/How-to-fix-Microphone-not-working-in-Windows-10-updated.jpg />
- Right-click on the volume icon in the taskbar and select Sound,
- In the Record tab, right-click on an empty area,
- Select Show disabled devices and Show disabled devices.
- Now right click on the microphone and select Enable.
- Click Apply and then OK.
alt=disabled devices display width=400 height=455 data-ez= data-ezsrc=http://server.digimetriq.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/1618638075_24_How-to-fix-Microphone-not-working-in-Windows-10-updated.jpg />
Starting up the sound controller
Launch the built-in audio troubleshooter which automatically detects and corrects problems.
- Right-click on the sound icon in the right-hand corner of the taskbar.
- Select Troubleshooting audio.
- It will automatically detect any errors in your audio and recommend how to fix them.
- Just read the posts and click on the options that suit you.
alt=Solving audio problems width=483 height=313 data-ez=data-ezsrc=http://server.digimetriq.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/1618638076_367_How-to-fix-Microphone-not-working-in-Windows-10-updated.jpg />
Installing the latest Windows updates
Windows updates can fix problems, protect against malicious attacks or even add new features to the operating system. Windows 10 is configured to automatically download and install the latest updates. However, you can manually check and install if the latest version is available and may contain a solution to the microphone problem.
- Press Windows + I to open the Settings application,
- Select Update and Security as Windows Update,
- Click the Check for Updates button to download and install the latest updates,
- And restart your PC to apply the latest updates,
- Check that the microphone problem is resolved.
Sound driver update
This is another functional solution that will likely solve the problem when an outdated audio driver or incompatible drivers prevent the microphone from working.
- Press Windows + X and select Device Manager
- A list of all installed device drivers is displayed
- Develop sound, video and game controllers,
- Right-click on the installed audio driver and select Update Driver.
- Select Automatically check for updated drivers and let the process run.
- When the work is done, restart Windows and check if the problem is solved.
alt=audio driver update width=581 height=513 data-ez= data-ezsrc=http://server.digimetriq.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/1618638076_41_How-to-fix-Microphone-not-working-in-Windows-10-updated.jpg />
If you cannot update your audio drivers, go to the device manufacturer’s website and download and install the latest driver.
Turn off all sound effects
- Right-click the speaker icon in the taskbar and select Sound.
- On the Playback tab, right-click Speakers and select Properties.
- Click on the Extensions tab and check the Disable all extensions box.
- Click Apply, then click OK and restart the computer to save the changes.
Did these solutions fix a micro laptop that didn’t work on Windows 10? Give us your thoughts in the comments below, also read:
frequently asked questions
How do I fix my microphone in Windows 10?
Windows, windows, repairs…
Why is my microphone not working in Windows 10?
to fix my microphone…
Why does my computer not recognize the microphone?
The support that we… can’t…
Feedback,microphone not working windows 10headset mic not detected windows 10usb microphone not working windows 10microphone not working windows 7realtek microphone not workingwindows 10 microphone not working realtek 2020,People also search for,windows 10 microphone not working realtek 2020,microphone not working windows 10,no input devices found microphone windows 10,headset mic not detected windows 10,how to reset microphone settings windows 10,usb microphone not working windows 10,microphone not working windows 7,realtek microphone not working