Sometimes Windows does not correctly synchronize your data with the time of day. You can find out what time it is on your computer by downloading the time synchronization app from the Windows Store. However, sometimes this app does not work properly. If you get the “The computer did not resync because no time data was available” error in the Windows time synchronization app, this article is for you.
I’ve seen this error more than once in the past… and now I’m going to show you how to fix it. I’ll start by saying that this is not a common error, but it is not uncommon either. If you encounter this error, you have a few options. Go into the registry and change the time and be done with it, or find out why the time was messed up in the first place.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance. If you are using a Microsoft Windows Server system and you try to synchronize the time with another time source (an external NTP server), you may get the error message Computer could not resynchronize because no time data was available. So, to synchronize the time between the internal and external time sources, you need to run the w32tm /resync command. The task must be performed in the domain or on the client system. This error is mainly due to an incorrect configuration of the group policy for Windows Time Service. Fortunately, the error Computer not resynced due to missing time data can be fixed on a Windows 10 computer. Let’s see how we do.
What caused the error Computer could not resynchronize due to missing time data in Windows?
When using a remote time source on a Windows server, many users get the error message Computer could not resynchronize because no time data was available. This error also occurs when executing some Windows time synchronization commands. If Group Policies are not configured correctly, this unpleasant error can occur. Incorrect Windows settings also caused the error Computer was not resynced because there was no time data available. Group Policy is the main reason why Windows time synchronization can fail. To resolve this issue, Microsoft recommends that you change Group Policy.
Fix the error Computer could not resynchronize due to missing time data in Windows
updated June 2021:
We now recommend that you use this tool to fix the error. Moreover, this utility repairs common computer errors, protects you from file loss, malware and hardware malfunctions, and optimizes your PC for maximum performance. With this program you can quickly solve PC problems and prevent further problems:
- Step 1: Download the PC recovery and optimization tool (Windows 10, 8, 7, XP, Vista – Microsoft Gold Certified).
- Step Two: Click Start Scan to detect problems in the Windows registry that may be causing problems with your PC.
- Step Three: Click Repair All to fix all issues.
Running Windows for a Long Time (w32tm)
- The w32tm extended command can fix the error Computer cannot be resynchronized.
- Open the search program by pressing the key combination Windows + S.
- Type the keyword cmd to find the command prompt.
- Right-click on the command prompt and select Run as Administrator to open the expanded command prompt.
- Type this long command in the command prompt window:
- w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:time.windows.com,0x1/syncfromflags:manual/reliable:yes /update
- Press the Enter key to execute the command.
Editing the register
- Open the Open Run text box.
- Type Regedit in the Open box and click OK.
- Open this registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/W32Time/Settings.
- Double-click the Type line to open the window shown in the following figure.
- If the character string type does not exist, right-click on an empty field in the right part of the window and select New and then character string value.
- Enter a new line in the text field.
- Delete the Value Data field.
- Then enter NT5DS in the value data field.
- Press OK key.
- Then restart Windows.
Reconfiguring WindowsTime Service Group Policy Objects
- To do this, execute the Run command with the key combination Windows + R.
- Open the Group Policy Editor by typing Gpedit.MSC from the Run menu and clicking OK.
- Click on Computer Configuration to expand it.
- Then double-click Administrative Templates on the left side of the window.
- Select Windows Time System and Service, which contains the Global Configuration Settings policy.
- Double-click the Global Configuration Settings policy to open more options for it.
- In the window that appears, select the Not configured radio button.
- Confirm by pressing OK key.
- Then select Time Provider on the left side of the window.
- Double-click Configure Windows NTP Client, Enable Windows NTP Client, and Windows NTP Server to open these configuration windows.
- Then select Configure unconfigured for Windows NTP client, Enable Windows NTP client, and Enable Windows NTP server.
- Click the Apply buttons in the windows to save your changes.
- You will then need to restart Windows for the changes to take effect.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance.
frequently asked questions
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you fix the computer did not resync because no time data was available?
If you’ve ever used Microsoft’s Windows 10, you may have noticed a little alert that pops up when you try to use the operating system. It’s one message that’s always visible at the bottom of the screen, and it says something along the lines of “the computer did not resync because no time data was available.” If you have recently upgraded to windows 10 and suddenly find that the computer is not syncing properly or that it is taking much longer than normal, it may be because you have no time data from the past. The computer often has the time, so it is just that it can not tell the difference between the data that it should have and the data that has been recorded.
How do I force a workstation to sync time with domain?
Have you ever seen the error message “The computer did not resync because no time data was available” on your computer? This error message will appears on all your workstations if they are not synced with the domain. This error message will also appear if you only have workstations in your domain and not in the domain you are synced with. If you don’t sync your domain with the domain your workstations are in so they are always current with the time, your workstations will not show the error message “The computer did not resync because no time data was available” when you are working. When a computer is connected to a domain, it doesn’t have to be connected to the domain controller. The computers will automatically synchronize with the domain controller on the first logged in. Often times, users encounter this problem when the domain controller is not available, and the computer won’t sync with the domain controller. The error message will be “The computer did not resync because no time data was available” in Windows. The computer, however, is still connected to the domain controller, so the computer should be able to sync with it. Technically, there is a way to force a computer to sync with a domain.
How do I resync windows time?
Windows time is the time displayed in the system tray (the little clock at the bottom right of your desktop), it is also referred to as the clock in the background of the taskbar, or the date and time in Power Options. It is important to keep it accurate as it is used in all kinds of different ways, and can be a real problem when it doesn’t work properly. The Windows time service is one of the many services that is available on a computer, but many times the time service will not synchronize properly. While this is not a big deal for most users, there are some situations where an inability to properly synchronize the time service can result in some very important programs not starting up, or your user account not being able to sign on.
Feedback,the computer did not resync because only stale time data was availablethe computer did resync because there was no time data availablew32tm /resync not workingwindows 10 time not syncing with domain controllerthe computer did not resync because no time data was available server 2016the computer did not resync because no time data was available hyper-v,People also search for,Privacy settings,How Search works,the computer did not resync because no time data was available server 2016,the computer did not resync because no time data was available hyper-v,w32tm /config /syncfromflags:domhier /update,the computer did not resync because the required time change was too big,the computer did not resync because only stale time data was available,the computer did resync because there was no time data available,w32tm /resync not working,windows 10 time not syncing with domain controller