Error: The file name is not specified.
Milan Stanojevic – deputy editor-in-chief
- L2TP is a solid VPN protocol that provides a satisfactory level of encryption for your data.
- Sometimes L2TP can be blocked for unknown reasons, so your VPN will not work.
- Since a faulty VPN can be critical to your privacy, you should fix it as soon as possible.
- Follow these steps to restore the L2TP connections and resolve this issue permanently.
Error: The file name is not specified.
To connect to the Internet through a VPN service, L2TP is one of the best solutions, but many users have reported that L2TP has been blocked for some unknown reason. This can be a major problem and completely hinder the use of the VPN.
This problem usually occurs because the L2TP protocol cannot pass through your firewall. To solve the problem, add a new rule to the Windows Defender firewall and allow ports 50, 500, and 4500 to pass through the firewall. After that, L2TP will be enabled and VPN will work.
In this article, we will look at some of the best ways to solve L2TP problems.
How can I fix the blocked L2TP protocol in my VPN?
Allow an L2TP connection through the firewall
Note: It is very important to make sure you are connected to the Internet before you begin to set up a VPN connection.
If this criterion is not met, after one minute Windows displays an error message indicating that the server did not receive a response after sending the data packet, or that something is wrong with your modem.
- In the Cortana search box, type firewall and then click Windows Firewall with advanced securityError
- Click on Incoming Rules in the new window. Error! Filename not specified.
- Click on New Rule. Error! Filename not specified.
- Select Login, and then click Next. Error! Filename not specified.
- Click UDP and type 50, 500, 4500 in the Specific Local Ports box and click Next. Error! Filename not specified.
- Select Allow connection if it is secure, and then click Next. Error! Filename not specified.
- You can leave the next two windows blank for Users and Computers and click Next.
- In the next window, leave all fields checked and click Next. Error! Filename not specified.
- Add a name for your new rule and click Finish. Error! Filename not specified.
- You’re done! With this configuration, you prevent the L2TP VPN connection from being blocked by your Windows firewall.
If you follow the steps outlined in this article, you should definitely be able to restore access to your L2TP VPN service and be sure that none of your firewalls are causing problems.
Let us know if this solution helped you by using the comments section below.
FAQ : More information about L2TP and VPN
L2TP VPNs use tunneling technology to route your traffic through secure VPN tunnels protected by encryption algorithms.
- What is the difference between PPTP and l2tp?
Both are tunneling protocols, but L2TP is considered more secure than PPTP because of its stronger 256-bit key encryption, which essentially encrypts your data twice for added security. However, using L2TP with your VPN will result in slower speeds.
- Which is faster than PPTP or l2tp?
PPTP is rather modest in terms of security, but is actually faster than L2TP and can be a good choice for streaming or gaming. The most widely used tunneling protocol, both fast and secure, is currently OpenVPN.
Editor’s note: This post was originally published in May 2019 and has since been revised and updated for timeliness, accuracy and completeness in May 2020.
Editor’s note: This article was originally published in May 2019 and revised and updated in February 2021 for timeliness, accuracy and completeness.
Frequently asked questions
Cannot connect to VPN L2TP connection attempt failed?
This error occurs when your system is not properly configured to connect to the L2TP server, so the connection attempt fails before you connect to the server … The L2TP-based VPN client (or VPN server) is located behind the NAT. An invalid certificate or shared key is installed on the VPN server or client.
I can’t connect to a Windows 10 L2TP VPN?
FIX: Cannot connect to the L2TP VPN on Windows 10.
How can I check the L2TP connection?
On the client computer, right-click the Network Environment icon on the desktop and select Properties. In the Network Connections and Remote Access window, double-click the L2TP connection profile. Click the Properties link and then click the Security tab. Select Advanced (custom settings) and click Settings.
windows 10 l2tp vpn registry fix,l2tp vpn not connecting mac,the error code returned on failure is 809.,windows 10 l2tp vpn stuck on connecting,windows l2tp client alternative,windows 10 l2tp vpn client software,windows 10 vpn connection logs,windows vpn error 789,at&t vpn connection problems,at&t blocking ipsec traffic,at&t blocking openvpn,at&t reserved ports,at&t u-verse firewall settings,at&t internet broadband,meraki vpn not connecting windows 10,vpn l2tp stuck connecting,windows 10 vpn settings registry,windows 10 l2tp vpn timeout,edgerouter l2tp vpn not working,assumeudpencapsulationcontextonsendrule ikev2,comcast business gateway l2tp,is xfinity pptp,dpc3941b vpn,comcast blocking ports 500 and 4500,cga4131com pptp vpn,how to enable esp protocol 50,assumeudpencapsulationcontextonsendrule,l2tp vpn error 0,windows 10 l2tp vpn not working synology,l2tp error 789 registry,rasclient 1168,assumeudpencapsulationcontextonsendrule cmd,the l2tp connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a processing error,the l2tp connection attempt failed because the security layer could not negotiate,the l2tp connection attempt failed because security policy for the connection was not found,windows 10 l2tp vpn not connecting,the error code returned on failure is 789,ipsec vpn not working,windows 10 l2tp vpn wont connect