Windows Remote Desktop (also known as RDP or Remote Desktop Protocol) is a very useful feature for accessing a computer over the network. But sometimes the RDP stops working for some reason. Users are reporting that Windows 10 Remote Desktop is not working. If you can’t use the Remote Desktop application in Windows 10, will RDP stop working after upgrading to Windows 10 20H2? Here are some possible solutions to common problems you may encounter when trying to connect to a remote PC.
Remote Desktop does not work Windows 10
If you get the error message Remote computer cannot be found, check that you have the correct computer name, and then check that you have typed the name correctly. If you still can’t connect, try entering the remote PC’s IP address instead of the PC’s name.
If you have a problem with the network,
- Make sure your router is enabled (home networks only).
- The Ethernet cable is connected to the network adapter (cable networks only).
- The WLAN switch on your PC is switched on (only laptops in wireless networks).
- Your network adapter is in use.
Enabling Remote Desktop in WindowsSetup
Make sure your Windows 10 computer accepts RDP requests from other computers on the network.
- Right-click on this computer and select Properties.
- In the system, click the Distance Settings link on the left side of the page.
- In the System Properties window, click the Remote tab,
- Select the Allow external connections to this computer option.
- In addition, connections should only be allowed from computers running Remote Desktop with network authentication (recommended).
- Click on Apply and good.
Open your network and share the center of the control panel, the network and the Internet. And make sure that under the name of the network is called Private Network. If it says public, no incoming connection is allowed (so you are protected if you take your computer to a public access point).
Allow RDP in Windows Firewall
Here is another effective solution to allow RDP in the Windows firewall to solve the problem. If for security reasons, there are security warnings when you try to access your computer from another device.
Also, temporarily disable or uninstall antivirus software if installed.
In case of a window firewall warning, we need to activate the window firewall.
- Type firewall in the search box and open Windows Defender Firewall.
- In the left menu, click Allow an application or function through the Windows Firewall.
- Press to change the settings
- Now find Remote Desktop and turn it on.
That’s all I’m saying. The Windows Firewall now allows you to connect to this PC using the Remote Desktop protocol.
Some users report that they have disabled IPv6 (the version of the Internet Protocol) on their network card to solve the problem.
- Press Windows + R, type ncpa.cpl and ok to open the Network Connections window.
- Right-click on the adapter you want to disable and select Properties.
- Locate the check box labeled Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6), uncheck it.
- Click OK and restart the computer.
External desktop connection does not work anymore
If you find that the remote desktop connection no longer works with the remote desktop connection error, first try allowing RDP in the Windows firewall, and then
Checking that the RDP and related services are being implemented
- Open Windows services with services.msc.
- Look for a service that includes the term remote in its name.
- The scanning of all these services should be set to Manual or Automatic, and none of them should have the status Off.
Turn the printer off again for Remote Desktop
If you find that the connection to the remote computer keeps dropping, you should disable the printer redirection to the remote desktop, this will help to resolve the issue.
- Press Windows + R, type mstsc and ok.
- When the RDP window opens, click the Show Options button.
- Go to local resources
- Uncheck the Printers option under Local Devices and Resources.
Now log in to the remote computer, I am sure there is no connection to the remote desktop.
Did these solutions fix remote desktop in Windows 10, remote desktop connection stopped working in Windows 10, 8.1 and 7? Let us know in the comments below, also read :
vpn connected but remote desktop fails windows 10, windows 10 update breaks remote desktop, remote desktop printer redirection not working windows 10 1903, remote desktop not working after windows 10 update 1903, remote desktop stopped working windows 10, remote desktop connection not working windows 10 1909, remote desktop has stopped working windows 10, remote desktop not working after windows 10 update 2004