After updating to Windows 10 version 20H2, several users report an error : Your webcam is currently being used by another application during a video call with zoom or skype on their laptop. The problem occurs when using a laptop’s built-in webcam and external cameras connected to a desktop computer, not a specific application. Usually the camera is used by another application Errors in Windows 10 occur for other reasons, such as the application not having permission to access the camera on the computer.
Again, missing or incompatible webcam drivers, corrupted files from the camera application, or an anti-virus program can limit the application’s access to the webcam. In this post, we have applied 5 solutions to unlock a webcam or camera that is blocked by another Windows 10 application.
The webcam is being used by another Windows 10 application
Restart Windows 10 before applying any solutions. This updates the system and corrects minor software conflicts that may cause problems.
Again: If you are using an external webcam, unplug it and try plugging it into a different USB port.
If you have a third-party antivirus program installed on your computer, look for settings in your antivirus program that relate to blocking access or allowing the webcam to be used. Or temporarily disable or uninstall the antivirus program and see if the problem is resolved or not.
Allowing applications to access your camera
The most common reason for this error is that your webcam is currently being used by another application because that application does not have permission to access the camera on your computer. Several users who experienced the same issue reported that the problem was resolved after changing the camera application resolution for that particular application.
- Press the Windows + R key and type ms-settings:privacy-webcam and click OK.
- Here you need to make sure that the switch for Allow applications to access your camera is on.
- Click the Edit button again (under Allow camera access on this device) and make sure the camera access switch for this device is enabled.
alt=Small camera access width=755 height=524 data-ezsrc=https://image.windows101tricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Allow-access-to-camera.jpg />
Deactivation and activation of the built-in camera
Here is another possible solution that allows a few users to unblock the webcam or camera that is being blocked by another Windows 10 application.
- Press Windows + R, type devmgmt.msc and press ok
- The Device Manager opens and displays a list of all installed device drivers,
- Find the Cameras section and expand it by right-clicking on the built-in camera and selecting Disable Device.
- Wait a few seconds, this time right click again on the built-in camera and select Activate Device.
- Now go back and check if the camera works with the application.
- Press Windows + R, type firewall.cpl and click OK.
- The Windows Defender Firewall page is displayed. On the left side, click on the option to enable or disable Windows Defender Firewall.
- Select the radio button next to Disable Windows Defender Firewall (not recommended) in the Private Network and Public Network settings.
- Click OK to save the changes and exit.
alt=Disable Windows Defender Firewall width=708 height=400 data-ezsrc=https://image.windows101tricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Turn-off-windows-Defender-firewall.jpg />Application Reset Camera.
It is possible that the error message is caused by a software error or an error in the camera application. Let’s restore the application’s default settings, which will probably solve the problem.
- Right-click in the Windows 10 Start menu and select Apps & Features
- Scroll down the page in the right pane and click on the Camera link, then click on Advanced Settings.
- A new window will open with the option to reset the camera application by pressing the reset button.
- On the confirmation screen that appears, press Reset to confirm.
- Restart the computer and check if the error message is still displayed on the computer.
alt=reset camera app to default width=603 height=430 data-ezsrc=https://image.windows101tricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/reset-camera-app-to-default-setup.jpg />
Camera driver update
Again, corrupt or incompatible webcam drivers cause various problems or prevent the implementation of complete video calling applications on Windows 10. Installing the webcam driver is probably a good solution to solve the problem.
- Right-click on the Start button and select Device Manager.
- A list of all installed device drivers is displayed, searching for and developing all data from the camera (or imaging devices),
- Right-click the webcam, select Properties, click the Drivers tab, and then click Remove Device,
- When the confirmation window opens, click the Remove button again and restart your computer.
alt=Installed room width=1242 height=762 data-ezsrc=https://image.windows101tricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Uninstall-camera.jpg data-ez= />
- Open Device Manager again, this time click on the Action menu and select Check for Hardware Changes.
- Wait for the program to analyze and reinstall the updated drivers, restart the computer, and then try to open the camera application again.
Also, go to the webcam manufacturer’s website to download and install the latest drivers for the webcam and camera. If you have a laptop (like a Dell laptop), go to Dell’s support page for drivers for webcam and camera.
If your webcam still doesn’t work, check the webcam manufacturer’s website for help.
Also read :
alt=Ezoic data-ezsrc=http://server.digimetriq.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/No-Audio-Output-Device-Is-Installed-Windows-10-version-20H2.png /> Report this ad.
frequently asked questions
How do I lock the camera in another application?
Camera uses different software error – HireVue
Why do I see my webcam being used by another application?
This error is usually caused by corrupted Skype software, missing or corrupted camera drivers, a corrupted camera application, or the fact that Skype or other video calling applications do not have permission to access the camera on your computer. …
How can I check if the webcam is used by another application?
You can find the information you’re looking for in Settings > Privacy > Camera. If the application is currently accessing your webcam, you will see the text currently being used under the application name.
camera is being used by another application windows 10, webcam being used by another application windows 10, camera is being used by another application windows 7, make sure your camera is connected and not being used by another app, your webcam is blocked by another application, how do you fix camera is being used by another application, camera is being used by another application android, how do i fix camera in use by another application